2024-2025 CATALOG

The Academic Catalog is the official listing of courses, programs of study, academic policies and degree requirements for Loyola University Chicago. It is published every year in advance of the next academic year.




Arrupe College is a two-year college of Loyola University Chicago that continues the Jesuit tradition of offering a rigorous liberal arts education to a diverse population, many of whom are the first in their family to pursue higher education.

Using an innovative model that ensures affordability while providing care for the whole person – intellectually, morally, and spiritually – Arrupe prepares graduates to continue on to a bachelor’s program or move into meaningful employment. Heeding the call of its namesake, renowned Jesuit leader Pedro Arrupe, S.J., the college inspires its students to strive for excellence, work for justice, and become “persons for others."


We are delighted that you have joined Arrupe College! Arrupe College is a collaborative and engaging community of students, staff and faculty dedicated to transformative education. At Arrupe College, you will have the opportunity to attain the knowledge, skills and values to thrive academically, professionally and personally so that you can help make our city, nation, and world more just and peaceful. 

We understand that adjusting to college can be exciting but also stressful as you set academic and professional goals, develop new schedules, routines and helpful habits, and seek to balance academic and other responsibilities like caring for your health, working, and spending time with friends and family. The purpose of these academic standards and regulations is to communicate important information and expectations about academic policies and procedures that will help you to be successful! You will find helpful information on curriculum and degree requirements, registration, grades and academic progress, academic integrity and misconduct, and transfer credit. Please review the contents of these standards and regulations and please reach out to your advisor or academic dean(s) if you have questions.

Arrupe College is named after Father Pedro Arrupe, S.J., a Jesuit priest and former Superior General, who dedicated his life to helping others.

It is the goal of the program to offer a rigorous two-year curriculum promoting the Jesuit ideals of cura personalis (concern for the individual), acquisition and development of knowledge, and social justice while providing three core benefits:

  • Affordability – The institution’s tuition structure is designed to ensure students whose families have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) at or near $0 graduate with an Associate’s degree with minimal debt.
  • Accessibility – Near the intersection of CTA and METRA transit lines, Loyola University’s Water Tower Campus is a commuter-friendly ecosystem for learning, working, and personal development.
  • Achievability – The curriculum aligns with the requirements of the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), which allows students to transfer their credits upon competition to any institution part of the state-wide agreement.

Arrupe students have access to the University’s Wellness Center, tutoring and writing services, libraries, gyms, computer labs, and most student organizations at the Lakeshore and Water Tower campuses. Within Arrupe, students enjoy on-site tutoring, transfer- and career-counseling, social work services, and academic advising.

Academic Grievance Policy 

The Arrupe College process for resolving academic grievances complies with the University’s academic grievance procedures. The purpose of an academic grievance policy is to ensure fairness and consistency in the management of all academic disputes involving course grades and accusations of academic misconduct.  

Grade Appeals

If a student believes a grade to have been assigned by mistake or unfairly, they have the right to appeal the grade. The student must first contact the instructor to discuss the grade. If the instructor determines that a change of grade is warranted, the instructor shall submit a change of grade request via LOCUS. If the instructor denies the appeal, or fails to respond to the student’s request, the student may request a formal hearing to have the appeal reviewed in an impartial and thorough manner.

In order to request a grade review, the student must submit a formal grade change request to the Office of Academic Affairs by no later than 30 days into the next semester indicating why the assigned grade is arbitrary or capricious.  The Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs will determine if there are grounds for an appeal and whether to convene a hearing board.  The Assistant Dean's decision or that of the hearing board is final in all cases except expulsion.

Please refer to the Undergraduate Academic Catalog for more information about the Academic Grievance Policy’s grade appeal process.

Academic Misconduct Appeals

If a student believes they were wrongly accused of academic misconduct such as cheating or plagiarism, they must first discuss the matter with the instructor. According to the University’s academic grievance procedures, if the instructor denies the appeal, the student may request an impartial review of the accusation by filing a formal appeal with the Office of Academic Affairs. The Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs will determine whether there are grounds for an appeal and whether to convene a hearing board.  Notably, a student's misunderstanding about academic policy (i.e. they did not understand they were committing academic misconduct) is not, by itself, grounds for an appeal.  The Assistant Dean’s decision or that of the hearing board is final in all cases except expulsion.

Academic Integrity

Arrupe College values participation, truth, and honesty in personal, professional, and academic communication and endeavors. In particular, as a community of scholars and learners, Arrupe College requires its members to understand and abide by Loyola’s policies and procedures regarding academic honesty.

Some examples of academic dishonesty include:

  • Plagiarism, including the use of artificial intelligence
  • Multiple submissions of the same work for credit for more than one assignment
  • Fabricating data
  • Collusion without instructor permission
  • Cheating
  • Aiding and abetting the academic misconduct of others

Faculty members are responsible for identifying acts of academic dishonesty within their courses. They are also responsible for assigning penalties when they encounter these incidents. At minimum, acts of academic dishonesty will result in the student receiving a grade of “F” for the assignment or exam.
All incidents of academic dishonesty must be reported by the faculty member to the Office of Academic Affairs, which reserves the right to impose further sanctions depending on the infraction’s severity and frequency.

For more information regarding academic policies as they relate to academic honesty, sanctions, and appeals, please see the Undergraduate Studies Catalog.

Academic Probation

At the end of each term, students with a cumulative GPA below a 2.0 are placed (or continued) on academic probation and shall be notified of their status by the Office of Academic Affairs.  Students with incompletes will be reviewed at the time their grades become final to determine their academic standing, and may be placed on probation mid-semester.

First Probation

The first time a student is placed on academic probation, they must actively participate in a process designed to help them raise their GPA and return to good academic standing.  They will be automatically enrolled in ACUNI 102: Academic Success Strategies if the course is offered during the term of their probation, and they must take the following steps.

  1. Complete an Academic Improvement Plan (AIP).  This is an electronic document completed by the student in consultation with their advisor to help ensure they have reflected on what barriers to academic success existed in the previous term, and to establish tangible plans to improve academic performance in the current term.  A student on probation must complete Part I of the AIP, which should then be forwarded to the advisor.
  2. Next, the student should contact their advisor to schedule a meeting to take place no later than within the first three weeks of the new term. In this meeting, the student and advisor will review Part I of the AIP and develop an action plan (Part II).
  3. At the week 5-7 mark of the semester, the student should make an appointment with the Retention and Learning Coordinator to review the progress towards your academic plan and potential next steps.

Multiple Probations

Students on academic probation for more than one term do not need to complete the Academic Improvement Plan a second time. Exceptions may include students who were dismissed and reinstated, students returning from a Leave of Absence, and/or when an advisor believes the student will benefit from completing an updated plan. Students who have been on academic probation for multiple semesters must meet with their academic advisor within the first two weeks of the subsequent term to discuss their goals and progress. They must also continue to schedule at least one academic progress appointment per semester with the Retention and Learning Coordinator. 

Academic Dismissal

Students on probation are subject to dismissal for poor academic scholarship from Arrupe College if they do not either return to good standing by earning a cumulative GPA of 2.0 by the end of their term or probation, or by earning at least a term GPA of 2.0 thereby demonstrating satisfactory academic progress.  A student's career course completion rate of at least 67 percent (grades of "F," "W," "WE," and "NR" count against this calculation) and a student's reasonable ability to achieve a final GPA of 2.0 after completing all remaining degree requirements are also considered in reviewing students for dismissal.

Academic Standing

Good academic standing is defined by the College as a 2.0 ("C") cumulative grade point average (GPA) or higher.  Academic standing is assessed by the college at the end of each term.

Separately, to remain eligible for financial aid, students must meet the 2.0 GPA requirement while successfully completing at least 67 percent of attempted coursework in an academic year. The Office of Financial Aid assesses student academic progress at the end of each semester and will place students falling below this target on probation. Students who do not meet requirements by the end of the subsequent semester must file an appeal with Financial Aid. If the appeal is granted, students have until the end of their second semester on Financial Aid probation to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Students who fail to do this may lose their financial aid package permanently.

Dean’s List

Students who earn a term GPA of 3.5 or higher on a completed full-time schedule of classes (at least 12 credits) shall be added to the Dean’s List for that term, recognizing them for their academic achievement.  Students with incompletes will be reviewed for Dean’s List eligibility once their incomplete grades have been finalized.

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society

Students who receive a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and complete at minimum 12 credit hours will receive an invitation to the College’s honor society – Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) from the PTK Advisor.  

ACUNI 101 First Year Seminar & ACUNI 102 Academic Success Strategies

ACUNI 101 First Year Seminar

ACUNI 101: First-Year Seminar is a one-credit course and a graduation requirement for all incoming first year students during the fall term. The course is designed to provide a comprehensive extended orientation that is holistic and focuses on academic success and the transition from high school to college. The course is pass/no pass (P/NP), in which students must attain a grade of 70 percent or higher in the course in order to pass.

ACUNI 101 is only offered in the fall semester; students who do not pass or who withdraw from the course may satisfy this graduation requirement by successfully completing ACUNI 102: Academic Success Strategies, which is offered in the spring term.

ACUNI 102 Academic Success Strategies

ACUNI 102: Academic Success Strategies is a one-credit course designed to strengthen students’ academic skills so that they can become more effective learners. ACUNI 102 is graded and does impact a student's GPA. Enrollment in ACUNI 102 is required of students who are on academic probation after their first semester, who did not pass ACUNI 101, or both. If a student does not pass ACUNI 101 or 102, they must meet with the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs to determine an alternative to satisfy this graduation requirement. 


Arrupe has an in-person class teaching and learning model. The College sees in-person teaching and learning as a significant factor in a student’s academic and personal development. Consistent attendance helps ensure that students are building relationships with peers and faculty, that they are engaged at a higher level, and learning concepts outside the classroom that will benefit them in their future pursuits. Consistent attendance and participation in class will maximize student’s chances to learn and be successful at the College.  

Students with multiple absences face an increased chance they will underperform in their courses, fall behind, and lose important connections within the Arrupe community.  While the College appreciates that students may get sick, have personal emergencies and other important responsibilities, it is essential to follow certain fundamental steps if an absence becomes unavoidable:  

  1. Understand class policy.  Each professor has their own attendance and participation policy.  Students should review these policies at the start of a term and ask any questions if there are misunderstandings about how absences can impact exams, deadlines for assignments (and possible submission of late work), and final grades.  
  2. Communicate with professor(s) in advance of an absence, or as soon as actually possible if the absence was unexpected.
  3. Follow up with professors upon return to class. Students are strongly encouraged to arrange a time to connect with professors to discuss work that may be missed in class. Similarly, students should connect with classmates for any notes and insights on classes that are missed.  

Students who may need to miss multiple classes over multiple days are also strongly encouraged to not only communicate with their professors, but also consider utilizing resources available at Arrupe for additional support, which may include the student's advisor, the Office of Student Services, and the Office of Academic Affairs.


In their first two (fall and spring) terms, Arrupe College students are part of and take classes as morning or afternoon cohorts. Though incoming students may indicate their cohort preference, cohort placement is at the discretion of the College.  After their first two terms, a student may enroll in any open class that meets their degree requirements.

Bridging Cohorts

In some instances, the Office of Academic Affairs may allow a first-year student to take classes across cohorts; that is, classes in both the morning and afternoon. In these cases, students will remain affiliated with their original cohort and return to their intended schedule for subsequent terms.

Changing Cohorts

First-year students are allowed to submit a request to change cohorts in writing to the Office of Academic Affairs, which may be considered based on a student's individual needs but also on enrollment capacity.

Curriculum Components

Arrupe College's curriculum consists of three components:

  1. Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) Requirements (37-38 credit hours)
  2. Arrupe Mission Core Requirements (10 credit hours)
  3. Pre-Major Concentration and/or Electives (15 credit hours)

In order for a student to receive an Associate of Arts degree from Arrupe College, they must:

  1. Complete all required courses, including the General Education Core Curriculum, Arrupe Mission Core, and Electives. Please see the Arrupe College catalog for a current list of classes that satisfy these requirements.
  2. Earn a minimum of 62 credit hours, which must include:
    1. At least nineteen courses worth three credits or more,
    2. At least one science course with lab worth four credits, and
    3. At least one ACUNI seminar course worth one credit


Voluntary Discontinuation

If a student withdraws and indicates they do not plan to return Arrupe by the following term or at all, they will be discontinued in their academic program and must apply for re-admission if they wish to return in the future.  

The College underscores the importance of students who are withdrawing from some or all of their courses in any capacity to consult with their advisor to discuss their academic plans as well as with their financial aid counselor to determine if the withdrawal will impact their eligibility for aid or result in any financial liability.

Discontinuation for Academic Dismissal

Students on probation who do not return to good standing within the designated requirements and timeframe may be dismissed for poor academic scholarship and will be notified via email before the start of the following academic term.  If a student is dismissed for poor scholarship they will be discontinued in their academic program, and may apply for readmission only after earning at least six credits at another accredited institution while meeting all the following guidelines:

  • Must be taken during a traditional fall or spring term (typically lasting more than 12 weeks)
  • Must be taken primarily in-person/not online
  • Must satisfy General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) or Arrupe Core requirements
  • Must result in a cumulative GPA of 2.33 ("C+" average) or higher

A student who is readmitted after being dismissed for poor scholarship shall return on academic probation based on their previous GPA earned at Arrupe College and will be subject to all the original probation requirements. 

Discontinuation for Non-Enrollment

Students may choose at their own discretion to take a Leave of Absence from Arrupe College for one single fall, spring, or summer term.  Students wishing to do so should consult with their advisor to discuss their plans, and they must complete the Request for Leave of Absence form and submit to the Office of Academic Affairs.  Students may not enroll or pursue course work at another accredited institution elsewhere during their term away.  Students are responsible for reaching out to their advisor to discuss registration for the next available academic term.  If a student does not enroll for two consecutive terms, they will be discontinued from their program and must apply for re-admission if they wish to return in the future.

Discontinuation for Enrollment Elsewhere

Students may not enroll in coursework elsewhere while enrolled at Arrupe College or Loyola University Chicago, nor may they enroll elsewhere during a Leave of Absence.  Students who do so will be discontinued from their program at Arrupe College and must apply for re-admission if they wish to return in the future.

Re-Admission Policy

Any student who leaves Arrupe College and is not enrolled for two consecutive terms, or who completes course work at another institution during a Leave of Absence shall be required to apply for re-admission through the Office of Admission if they wish to return.  Students applying for re-admission after being dismissed for poor scholarship are subject to additional requirements outlined in the Discontinuation for Academic Dismissal.

Full-Time Enrollment Requirements 

Students at the College are required to enroll full-time: at least 12 credit hours (typically four courses) per fall and spring term, and at least six credit hours (typically two courses) per summer term.  A student's eligibility for financial aid may be adversely impacted by enrolling on a part-time basis.

FAFSA Verification

If a student is selected by the Office of Financial Aid to verify their FAFSA, they must complete the verification process before registering for subsequent sessions. Failure to complete verification will result in a tuition balance and registration hold. Outstanding verification documentation is itemized under the “To Do” banner in LOCUS.

Outstanding Account Balances

Students with an outstanding balance, who are not on a payment plan (iPlan), may not register until the account balance is settled in accordance with the Office of the Bursar’s policies and practices.

Part-Time Registration Appeal

Students who intend to enroll in fewer than 12 credits in a fall or spring term or fewer than six credits in a summer term must submit the Request for Class Withdrawal & Part-Time Enrollment to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Students understand that part-time status can impact financial aid, tuition charges, and path to a timely graduation.

Request for Leave of Absence

In cases where extenuating circumstances significantly impact a student’s ability to attend class, they may request to take a leave of absence for one semester by submitting a Request for Leave of Absence to the Office of Academic Affairs.

A student granted a Leave of Absence will not register for classes for the term in question. Therefore, financial aid will not be disbursed, nor will the student be assessed tuition or fees for that term.

Students should maintain contact with their advisor during their Leave of Absence to ensure they are ready to register for their returning term in a timely manner.  If a student does not enroll for a coursework in the term after their approved Leave of Absence, or if they enroll in coursework at another institution during their leave, they will be discontinued from their program and must apply for re-admission.

Repetition of Course(s)

For courses where a student has previously received a grade of "W" or "WE," they may enroll in that course without any special permission.

For required courses where a student has previously received a grade of "F" or a grade of "D" that does not adequately satisfy a pre-requisite, they must request authorization to retake the course from the Office of Academic Affairs. 

For elective courses where a student has previously received an "F," permission may only be granted if the student has an academically necessary reason for repeating the course (i.e. it is a course likely to be required for the student's future degree program).

For any other courses where a student has previously received a "D," permission may only be granted if retaking the course benefits their future degree plans (i.e. they must raise their GPA for bachelor's program admission, or must have a higher grade in a course to satisfy future degree requirements). 

The grade in a repeated course does not replace the original grade earned; the grades in both courses are essentially averaged together. For example, if a student received a "D" in a three-credit course and a "B" in the repeat attempt, the quality points are added together and divided by the total credit hours of both courses.  In this example, the student would effectively have a "C" in the course, but both grades would appear on the student's official transcript.

In an authorized repeat of a course, the student will not receive additional credit towards graduation for multiple attempts. The student will only receive credit hours toward graduation for equivalent to one of the attempts (in most cases, three credit hours) since credit hours in the course have already been earned. The repeated course, however, is counted for attempted hours and quality points for the accurate computation of grade point average for the term in which it is taken.  Students should consult with their advisor or visit the Office of Academic Affairs for further clarification. 

Cross-College Enrollment

Enrollment in coursework outside the Loyola University Chicago community is strictly prohibited while enrolled at Arrupe College.  Students may take coursework at another College or School within Loyola University Chicago (such as the College of Arts and Sciences or the Quinlan School of Business) to fulfill a future program or degree requirement.  Eligible students must meet the following criteria:

  1. A cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher
  2. 25 or more earned credit hours by the time the desired course begins
  3. Permission from both the Office of Academic Affairs at Arrupe College as well as from the Dean's Office of the receiving College or School

Grading System

Letter grades and plus/minus indicators (suffixes) are used by instructors to indicate a student's quality of achievement in a given academic course. The letter grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F are assigned the following credit points for purposes of grade point average (GPA) calculations:

Grade Grade Points
A 4.0
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
F 0

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete (“I”) grade is a temporary mark that may be offered later in a semester (typically after the withdrawal deadline) at the discretion of an instructor and with consent from the Office of Academic Affairs. Students may request an incomplete when they have experienced unexpected personal events that make it exceptionally difficult or impossible to finish work associated with a course by the time final grades are due. Examples of circumstances that warrant an incomplete may include, but are not limited to:

  • Student Illness or injury requiring hospitalization or documented medical intervention
  • Death or illness of a loved one
  • Sudden change in personal circumstances, such as housing insecurity or other traumatic event

Students who wish to pursue an incomplete must fill out the “Undergraduate Request for a Mark of Incomplete” form (accessible on the Arrupe College website) and present it to their instructor. The instructor has sole discretion to offer an incomplete and set the timeline for which work must be submitted, which cannot be later than six weeks into the following Fall or Spring semester. Common reasons an instructor may decline an incomplete request may include, but are not limited to:

  • Final exam or final project deadline has already passed and/or final grade has already been submitted
  • Request is submitted too early in the semester to reasonably be considered
  • Student has already missed too much classroom instruction and/or assignments to catch up

If an instructor agrees to offer an incomplete, they will submit the completed request form to the Office of Academic Affairs for final approval. If a student does not complete any or all outstanding work by the agreed upon deadline or by six weeks into the next Fall or Spring semester (whichever comes first), a final grade will be calculated and entered by the instructor based only on whatever work has been submitted up to that point. Extensions to incompletes are typically not offered, nor should they be expected, and can only be granted in consultation with the Office of Academic Affairs. 

Withdrawal Grades

If a student withdraws enrollment from a class or classes, they will earn a withdrawal grade of W, WE, or NR, depending on the circumstances. Withdrawal within the first two weeks of the fall or spring term or first week of the summer term (refer to the University Academic Calendar for exact timing) will result in no financial responsibility for the dropped class(es). More information regarding this process can be found under "Voluntary Withdrawal."

If a student withdraws from a course after the first two weeks, they may retain full or partial financial responsibility for the withdrawn course. If a student withdraws from one or more classes after these dates, it could result in a proration of tuition charges and, potentially, a recalculation of Financial Aid Title IV funds, meaning they could potentially owe money to the university. If a student is contemplating withdrawal, they should first refer to the Office of the Bursar’s tuition schedule to calculate financial responsibility and speak with a financial aid counselor to determine what effects, if any, the withdrawal would have their aid.

Students who are enrolled but receive no course credit for a semester or session (for example, earning grades of "F" or "W" in all courses) may be audited by the Financial Aid Office at the end of an academic term. This audit could result in a return of Title IV funds without any tuition reimbursement, meaning the student could owe money to the university.

Withdrawal for a “W”

A grade of "W" (withdrawal) is assigned for withdrawal after the first and through the tenth week of the 16-week semester, and after the first and through fifth week of the nine-week session (please refer to the University Academic Calendar for exact timing). This grade will appear on the student's transcript but will have no impact on the student's grade point average.

Withdrawal for an “NR”

A notation of "NR" is assigned in instances where the student is registered for a course but never attended or submitted work for the course in question. An “NR” grade does not impact the student’s GPA, but may result in an audit by the Office of Financial Assistance.

Withdrawal for a "WE"

If a student is facing significant hardship and considering withdrawal from all classes, particularly after the last day to withdraw with a mark of "W," they should meet with their advisor and refer to the University’s “Emergency Withdrawal” policy, which results in a grade of "WE" for all courses - students are not eligible to receive "WE" marks in some courses but not others in a given term. A grade of "WE" does not impact GPA but may change a student's financial aid eligibility. 

Illinois Articulation Agreement (IAI) Grade Requirements

If a student plans to transfer to an IAI receiving school, at least a “C” is required for satisfactory completion of each of the two courses in the writing sequence (ACWRI 105 College Writing I and ACWRI 110 College Writing II). Students should know, however, that some participating institutions and some baccalaureate majors already require a “C” or better for completion of the writing courses and the oral communication course (ACCOM 101 Public Speaking & Critical Thinking).

Aside from the two writing courses, the IAI agreement permits students to count a course in which they earned a grade of “D” towards fulfilling the other General Education Core Curriculum requirements because most bachelor's degree-granting institutions permit students who begin at the institution as freshmen to do so. Your baccalaureate Major, however, may require a “C” or better in any General Education Core Curriculum course also used to satisfy a major requirement.

Students should know they need at least a cumulative “C” average (2.00) to meet graduation requirements for an associate's degree. As students prepare to transfer, they should understand that, although the policy permits a course in which they earned a grade of “D” to count towards an associate’s, admission to most degree-granting institutions – and to specific bachelor's degree majors – is often highly competitive.1


From the IAI: http://www.itransfer.org/


Unless otherwise approved (see “Enrollment”), a student is required to maintain continuous, full-time enrollment through four, 16-week terms (fall/spring) and two, nine-week summer terms. Following this enrollment pattern will allow a student to complete their associate's degree in two years, as long as they do not withdraw or need to repeat any courses (see ”Repetition of Courses”). If a student would like to preserve a summer term to complete an internship or research opportunity, they should consult with their advisor to discuss an alternative schedule and path to graduation.

Transfer Credit

Arrupe abides by Loyola University Chicago’s Advanced Placement (AP), College- Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and dual credit transfer policies. For more information, visit the Undergraduate Studies Catalog.

The associate's degree awarded by Arrupe College consists of at least 62 credit hours with some programs requiring a greater number of credits. Of these 62+ credit hours, students must complete at least 32 credit hours in residence at Arrupe College in order to receive their associate's degree. Students may apply up to 30 credit hours, or approximately a year’s worth of coursework, towards the completion of their associate's degree.

Process for Transferring Back Credits

A student who has earned at least 56 college credits and holds a 2.0 GPA or above is eligible to apply to transfer back two academic courses (for a maximum of seven credits) from another postsecondary institution or another college at Loyola University Chicago to complete their associate's degree from Arrupe College. This policy allows the student to fulfill their degree requirements and achieve timely graduation. The total number of credits transferred back plus the total number of credits transferred in cannot exceed 33 credit hours total.

Students must have approval from the Office of Academic Affairs prior to the end of their final semester at Arrupe and, in most cases, are encouraged to complete all transferable credit in the first semester at the other postsecondary institution.

Students awarded an associate's degree from Arrupe College are recognized as "Core Complete" at any of the Illinois Articulation Initiative receiving institutions including all of Loyola University Chicago’s undergraduate colleges.

Before transferring, students should first meet with their advisor to identify the remaining degree requirements and their options to complete the degree, including transfer back. The Transitions Coordinator can help the student identify a transfer institution and transferable coursework. The student must submit the syllabus to the Transitions Coordinator for approval. Students can initiate the transfer back process by completing the Transfer Back Worksheet, with the Transitions Coordinator and submitting the completed form to the Office of Academic Affairs. The student can retrieve a copy of the Transfer Back Worksheet from the Office of Academic Affairs or the Transitions Coordinator.  After earning a “C” or above in the transfer back coursework, the student will need to send an official transcript from the transfer institution to Loyola University Chicago.


Voluntary Withdrawal from Course(s)

A student does not require any special permission to withdraw from a course if the withdrawal will leave them enrolled in at least 12 credits during a fall or spring term, or at least six credits during the summer term.

If the withdrawal will change the student's status to part-time enrollment, they must submit a Request for Class Withdrawal & Part-Time Enrollment to the Office of Academic Affairs.  Before submitting this request, the student should first consult with their advisor to discuss their academic plans as well as with their financial aid counselor to determine if the withdrawal will impact their eligibility for aid or result in any financial liability.  Last dates of actual attendance may be verified with instructors, which can impact final marks and financial aid eligibility.  

Voluntary Total Withdrawal from an Academic Term

An enrolled student who wishes to withdraw from all of their coursework during an academic term must submit a Request for Total Withdrawal to the Office of Academic Affairs.  Before submitting this request, the student should first consult with their advisor to discuss their academic plans as well as with their financial aid counselor to determine if the withdrawal will impact their eligibility for aid or result in any financial liability.  Last dates of actual attendance may be verified with instructors, which can impact final marks and financial aid eligibility.  Additional documentation may be required based on the timing of a total withdrawal request, such as a Request for Emergency Withdrawal if the request is submitted after the last date in the term to withdraw or a Request for Leave of Absence if submitted in the beginning of a new term.

Administrative Withdrawal for Non-Attendance

Enrolled students who demonstrate no academic activity within the first week of a new term (including attendance, submission of assignments, and/or logging into Sakai), and who do not notify the College of any circumstances that may preclude their activity, may be withdrawn from some or all of their classes at the discretion of, and with notification from the Office of Academic Affairs.  Students withdrawn from all their classes for non-attendance in the first week of a term will not have financial aid disbursed and billing for the term will be canceled, but students will be liable for any outstanding balances from previous terms.  Students withdrawn under these circumstances should contact their advisor to determine if they are eligible to re-enroll for the current or next academic term.  Students withdrawn for non-attendance will not be officially discontinued from their program until or unless there is a second consecutive term of inactivity.