School of Environmental Sustainability
Empowering the Next Generation of Environmental Leaders
Graduate programs in the School of Environmental Sustainability equip students with the knowledge and skills to find sustainable solutions to environmental challenges. At SES you can:
- Expand your professional impact and strengthen your interdisciplinary expertise through our Master of Science in Environmental Science and Sustainability program. Learn the skills needed to join the growing number of researchers and environmental science and sustainability specialists, while earning a degree that can advance your professional standing.
- Examine research questions in pressing environmental issues such as environmental conservation, environmental economics, invasive species, climate change, and sustainability.
- Analyze the intersection of environmental science, social justice, business practices, economic structures, and legal systems.
- Explore the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and Ecosystem Assessment Report that address global and interdisciplinary aspects of environmental sustainability in science and society.
- Design your own personal curriculum to gain practical knowledge and skills in this rapidly expanding career field.
- Learn from experts and researchers working together in a truly interdisciplinary team.
The SES graduate programs prepare students for careers in the sustainability field and to live integrated, environmentally sustainable lives with careers in positions such as:
- Research Associate
- Grants Manager
- Sustainable Supply Chain Manager
- Energy and Sustainability Researcher
- ESG Coordinator/Analyst
- Environmental Policy Analyst
- Project Manager
- Sustainability Manager
- Communications Manager
- Environmental Educator
SES graduates work in nonprofits, businesses, cultural and educational institutions, and government agencies such as:
- Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Environmental Defense Fund
- Citizens Climate Lobby
- City of Chicago
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- The Field Museum
Graduate & Professional Standards and Regulations
Students in graduate and professional programs can find their Academic Policies in Graduate and Professional Academic Standards and Regulations under their school. Any additional University Policies supercede school policies.