Institute of Pastoral Studies
The Institute of Pastoral Studies (IPS) educates adults for professional ministry, spiritual development and faith-based leadership in a wide range of professions. Through their course of study and their spiritual formation, students develop real-world knowledge and skills in theological reflection, ministerial practice and ethical judgment.
IPS has seven graduate degree programs that engage students at the nexus of theory and practice. Each program is built on foundational knowledge, enhanced by professional skills, and requires contextual education. No program at IPS is complete without an integration project, ensuring that the academic knowledge, skills, and context come together so that our degree students graduate as true "Masters" in their chosen field of study. Our placement rates for graduates are strong, as each student has access to Loyola's career center as well as one of the largest, global network of ministerial alumni from a Catholic institution.
IPS degree programs are offered in Chicago, online, and in Rome, Italy. Due to the generosity of donors, IPS offers need-based grants and merit scholarships to a majority of our students. As we live in an increasingly diverse and global world, IPS supports international education for its students through a special fund established for that purpose.
Being at a world-class institution in a world-class city means that IPS attracts a world-class faculty. Students study with highly-qualified professors many of whom also bring ministerial experience to the program. Whether our students seek a program that leads to a career in ministry, service in the Church, counseling, spirituality, or social entrepreneurship, IPS has a degree or certificate to meet their needs.
The Institute of Pastoral Studies, Loyola University Chicago (IPS), is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools. The Board of Commissioners of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) granted full accreditation to IPS on June 10, 2019.
The Association of Theological Schools
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh PA 15275-1110
The following IPS degree programs are approved by the Commission on Accrediting: Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality (Professional MA), Master of Arts in Counseling for Ministry (Professional MA), Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling (Professional MA), Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (Professional MA), and the Master of Arts in Social Justice (Professional MA) were also approved, as were our comprehensive online (distance education) programs.
The Institute of Pastoral Studies (IPS) offers six certificate programs. All certificate programs are accessible online with an exception to the Pastoral Counseling program which is only available on-site. Some of these programs provide practical skills and can be obtained without an advanced degree, while others require an advanced degree to support the additional scholarly study. Please see the individual descriptions for prerequisite requirements.
The certificate programs provide participants with the opportunity to pursue a concentrated series of courses in Pastoral Counseling, Spiritual Direction, Social Justice or Religious Education. In each of the advanced graduate certificate programs, students may substitute some courses for others, with the approval of the program director, in order to avoid redundancy or in order to create specialized professional focus.
- Applied Pastoral Leadership Certificate
- Christian Spirituality (MA)
- Christian Spirituality - Spiritual Direction Concentration (MA)
- Christian Spirituality Certificate
- Church Management Certificate
- Counseling for Ministry (MA)
- Divinity (MDiv)
- Divinity and Pastoral Counseling (MDiv/MA)
- Divinity and Social Justice (MDiv/MA)
- Divinity and Social Work (MDiv/MSW)
- Divinity with a Concentration in Chaplaincy (MDiv)
- Divinity with a Concentration in Spiritual Direction (MDiv)
- Maestria de Artes en Estudios Pastorales Bilingue (Espanol)/MA Pastoral Studies, Online Bilingual (Spanish)
- Pastoral Counseling (MA)
- Pastoral Counseling Certificate
- Pastoral Leadership Certificate
- Pastoral Studies (MA)
- Pastoral Studies with a Concentration in Church Management (MA)
- Pastoral Studies with a Concentration in Digital Communication (MA)
- Pastoral Studies with a Concentration in Healthcare Chaplaincy (MA)
- Pastoral Studies with a Concentration in Religious Education (MA)
- Religious Education Certificate
- Social Justice (MA)
- Social Justice and Social Enterprise Certificate
- Social Justice and Social Work (MA/MSW)
- Social Justice Certificate
- Social Justice with a Concentration in Social Enterprise (MA)
- Spiritual Direction Certificate
Graduate & Professional Standards and Regulations
Students in graduate and professional programs can find their Academic Policies in Graduate and Professional Academic Standards and Regulations under their school. Any additional University Policies supercede school policies.